Saturday, August 9, 2014

Unstructured Chaos

What? Because there's such a thing as "structured chaos"?

Yes. Yes, there is such a thing. I know it. I've seen it. In fact, there's an entire industry built around the idea of "structured chaos." Closet systems. Storage systems. Organizing systems. Container stores. Let's face it: selling us ways to structure our chaos is Big Business.

As I look around my house and see Unstructured Chaos all around me, I know that I could go and easily find help to deal with it all. I could hire a professional organizer who would help me determine the right system for me. I could buy shelves, and racks, and bins, and decorative boxes, and, and, and, and...

And the very idea of it exhausts me. You see, I want out. I want out from under the weight of the clutter. I want out of the cycle of sorting and purging and organizing and reorganizing. And lately a voice in my head has been whispering, "You could get rid of it."

That voice is growing louder, stronger. That voice has become MY voice. I could get rid of it: the Stuff, the Excess, the Chaos. 

I could have a calm, ordered home. And I will have a calm, ordered home. Or Die Trying.



*I am considering this a Preface to my Home Recovery. I'm going to be honest. I'm going to share photos. Some days I'm going to be boring and simply list what I'm getting rid of that day. Some days I'm going to make it fun or, as my mother always advised, "make a game out of it." This blog will, for a time, be my daily diary. And really, it's just for me, to keep me honest, and to give me a place to pause when my task seems overwhelming.


No comments:

Post a Comment